Classes of hosting services
A hosting solution concerns keeping and/or sharing specific web content on a web hosting server managed by a website hosting supplier. There are different forms of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's study these. In this way, you can conclude what you need, on the basis of whether you wish to own a web portal, e-mail address accounts, or to share files with pals and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution furnished by particular providers, which enables you to share huge files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to load .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting services frequently include ads next to the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a given span of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file storage package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the help of the cPanel hosting firms, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a completely imprecise interpretation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would allot the tasks at hand between individual hosts of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending different website hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a variety of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; some vendors offer a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting type is appropriate if you would like to share an immense quantity of pictures with pals or colleagues since the solution is usually free of charge. You will receive a random link for each and every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for web pages.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to managing your e-mailbox accounts. Some corporations offer web hosting solutions for websites, but do not offer an email service. If you want to launch an email address with your domain name but do not desire to run a web site, then the email hosting service is what you want. You can create mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to some video file, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video clip produces a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video clips and several hundred site visitors, you may have a hard time with your web space hosting reserves. Embedding the video clip will enable you to administer as many videos as you would like without worrying about system quotas.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you need if you desire to have a site. To a certain extent, it consists of all of the aforesaid hosting forms since, along with your web pages, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and mail addresses, upload video files, etc. At JeffHost.com, for example, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated hosting accounts that permit you to have all of the aforesaid services in one single place. There may be restrictions depending on the kind of hosting solution that you've chosen - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the standard e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are conceived for specific web content only.